Business View – Thursday, January 24
25 Networking Tips
On Tuesday, January 22, 2013, in the morning, the Chamber Ambassador Committee hosted a seminar “Networking to Make Money”. Below are 25 of the networking tips that were discussed:
- Your goal is to help other people.
- Understand their needs before you tell them your needs.
- You don’t need to know the most people, just the right people.
- Don’t expect anything.
- Don’t leave networking to chance.
- Go beyond your industry.
- Do not dismiss anyone as irrelevant.
- Quantify how much time you are going to take.
- Start by offering praise not requesting help.
- Keep emails short when you follow up.
- If you must ask for a favor, then ask for permission to continue.
- Try to provide as much value as you possibly can.
- Start by focusing on being friendly and helpful.
- Develop the habit of introducing people.
- Ask if people want to be connected to someone you know.
- Nurture your current network.
- Try to contact one person per day.
- Don’t take no personally.
- Make it a point to follow up.
- Did you fail! Try in a different way.
- Network with the intention of helping other people, not yourself.
- Networking is more about listening to what people say than saying the right thing.
- Sometimes the best networking opportunities involve real work.
- Email is easy to send, but be specific.
- Focus on the relationship, not selling.
The Columbia County Chamber of Commerce, with its 850 members, is the leading voice of business in Columbia County, providing advocacy, promotional and benefit solutions for its members. Those seeking more information concerning the Columbia County Chamber of Commerce and membership can contact the Chamber at (518) 828-4417 or visit the website at www.columbiachamber-ny.com. Be sure to like the Chamber on facebook.